The Toledo City Council called a project and execution competition, which we were awarded, for the construction of a footbridge over the Tagus River that connects the University Campus (the former King Carlos III Arms Factory), with a natural park on the other bank of the river. In this area, there was a previously suspended bridge executed at the beginning of the 20th century and which was dragged by the river in the flood of 1947.
In the competition, it was decided to recall historical memory. A suspension pedestrian bridge of similar proportions was projected. There are privileged views of the city of Toledo from the centre of the deck.
The structure is a suspension bridge of 105 m span and a deck width of 6.00 m. Four metal steel pylons and a composite deck with a metal box are projected.
The main cable is closed typology 84 mm in diameter. The pendulums are the suspension elements of the deck with 16 mm closed cables. The back-stay is made with a structural tube of 219.25.
The pylons are metal 21.00 m high from their embedment in the base. These pylons mainly collect the vertical axial component of the cables, while with the back-stay pieces, the horizontal component of the central cables is compensated. They are therefore elements subjected mainly to compression, with reduced longitudinal and transverse flexions. The primary cables and the back-stay tubes are anchored in the upper head of the pylons.
The bridge was built by laying the main cable between pylons. The deck was made with five metal segments. After joining the metal segments, the deck slab was concreted in ocher stained concrete.
Technical Assistance to the Construction Mangement
Ayuntamiento de Toledo – Empresa Municipal Vega Baja
Final date of work
1st Award Projects Competition
IV CONGRESO ACHE _ 2008
JORNADAS SOBRE LA VIDA DE LOS PUENTES _ San Sebastián 2005