The building of the City Council of Toledo was erected between the 16th and 17th centuries according to the initial plans of the architect Juan de Herrera, to whom it owes the initial severity of the facade. Nicolás de Vergara El Mozo and Juan Bautista Monegro intervened on the first floor, consisting of nine semicircular arches between columns. The upper-level work of Jorge Manuel Theotocópulos (the architect son of the painter El Greco) was completed in the early 17th century, with nine square-shaped openings. The top of the two towers with baroque slate spires is the work of Teodoro Ardemans, from 1703.
The construction presented pathology of differential settlement in foundations in the southern area, due to its support on a heterogeneous infill layer.
The rehabilitation works carried out in the south tower of the building consist of underpinning the building with micro piles, reinforcement of the horizontal slabs structures, restoration of the wooden structure of the roof, repair of facades, and sealing of cracks.